Friday, September 14, 2012

Somewhere, beyond the fog, there's a beautiful view...

It didn't rain, but it's about as wet as it can be without actualy raining. Mist is hanging in the air, blocking out the sun and the view. Consequently, I'm having a real hard time getting moving today. Hopefully, this coffee will do the trick. As a bonus, they have wifi here so I'm posting a blog.

I didn't catch up with Geoff and Shaun yesterday. I didn't even try. I was feeling SUPER lazy yesterday. So far, I'm feeling almost as lazy today.

The skin on my hands isn't doing too well with constantly geting dirty and cold. My fingertips are drying out and cracking. I'm remembering times camping with the family. I always loved the first few days. Then, my stupid skin would start drying out and and pretty soon cracking and bleeding. I'm hoping my skin will be happier once I get further south. A few days indoors when I get to Chico probably wouldn't hurt either. But, that's a week or so away still. :-/

The coffee is getting me pumped up now. Perhaps even enough to take off the extra layer on my legs and crank out some fast miles. Let's check the map...

Only about 34 miles to Florence. I'm told it's another 40 miles after Florence to the next state park. Oregon state parks are great for biking since they all seem to have $6 hiker/biker sites and SHOWERS.

Well, I'm officially getting antsy to ride. Time to go put this energy to work.

3 comments:

  1. You need some cotton nighttime moisturizing gloves so you can cover your hands in vaseline after you wash them at night and put the gloves on. But avoid those ones that are already impregnated with "moisturizing" chemicals. More likely to give you a rash. Hard to find these things but some drugstores have them.

    I remember so much uncomfortable skin camping growing up. It's not as bad here in the NW. Hands on handlebars biking every day has to be brutal. And if it makes you feel any better, my butt was in pain for two days after a ride down to the ballard farmers market and back on Sunday.

    Maybe you should be less goal oriented? Maybe you should just go until you feel you've gone enough / seen enough? Not everyone finds internal inspiration and balance as a result of measurable achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jesse,
    I'm the cat sitter in Seattle who met you on the ferry to Bremerton. Just wanted to let you know I've been checking your blog to see how you are doing! I mentioned 2 guys that were cycling from Alaska to S.America who I met last year. Here is a link to their blog, and you might find this particular post helpful:
    http://350south.org/motivationally-speaking/
    I hope you hang in there and enjoy the journey rather than stress about how many miles you are doing.
    Take care,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara!

      It was great meeting you. Next time I'm in Seattle I might have to get a cat so I'll have an excuse for us to chat again. :-)

      You're right, I will work on enjoying the journey more and I'll get there when I get there. :-)

      Delete