Sunday, September 16, 2012

(Fat) Elk Creek (they look a lot like cows...)


Waiting for my laundry here at the Elk River RV Campground just north of Port Orford in Oregon. Two or three more days I think and I'll be in California. Another day or two after that and I'll be deciding if I head east on 299 to Redding or keep going south for a shot at the Mendocino pass.

I was thinking about how I'll manage my water last night and this morning. Practiced drinking all th e water used. I cooked and ate my beans and rice. Then, I rinsed the pot and drank the rinse water. Made hot pro-co, rinsed and drank the rinse water. Not bad really. After eating th beans or drinking the pro-co, the rinse water just tastes like water.

I have water purification tablets and I plan to call TC before I do it to get a handle on where I find the clean water. The main issue will be whether the evacuation from the fire is lifted. I think I'll be ok with taking 299 if that's the way things work out. I'll get to Chico sooner, so that's a plus.

If nothing else, accomplishing this feat of pedaling myself so many miles across the country will be pretty empowering...

Blah, clothes are done and I'm fading here. Time to go have a bit more food and perhaps get to bed early.

3 comments:

  1. just surrender to the decisions that are beyond you. I wish I was there.
    Also: Dates have been announced for LeiOut... So yeah, that decision was made for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found that if I put the chocolate flavored protien powder in hot water, it tastes like hot coco. So, I stated calling it hot proco. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of camping and drinking hot jello. Yum.

    ReplyDelete