Friday, November 16, 2012

Catch up, Part 1

Wow, sorry for leaving you all hanging for a whole month. First, let me catch you up.

While I was in Seattle, I began volunteering for Washington United For Marriage. I realized that getting back on the bicycle felt less important to me than doing what I could to help some of my friends and so many other wonderful people achieve marriage equality. So, I decided to stay another week and volunteer as much as I could handle while I was there.


Friends at a phone bank

I was a MACHINE, canvasing two to three areas of turf a day. Then, Wednesday of that week, the cold I had been feeling hit with full force. Spending the previous day riding and walking around in the rain for ten hours might have contributed to the onset. :-/

Why does my body keep failing to live up to the unrealistic expectations I have?!?!?!?

So, I stayed home (Ben's home), rested (watched a BUNCH of Ultimate) and cuddled with Angel.



After she got off work, Holly came by with an AMAZING care package. It honestly felt a bit like Christmas as she revealed all the items she picked up from the store for me. I was smiling from chop to chop. :-D

My favorite part of Holly's care package :-D

I still felt pretty lousy the next day and didn't think it was a good idea to head out in the cold and wet before I had turned the corner. One more day resting, watching more Ultimate and also... shaving off the sideburns.

Before...

I had figured I would keep them for Halloween so I could actually dress like Wolverine. Instead, I was sick on Halloween and stayed in. :-/ But, since it was still past Halloween, I really had no interest in keeping them anymore. BAM, gone.

Ya, I think I look strange too.

After being out for two days, I returned to the campaign headquarters ready for action and sans chops. I received a ton of welcome backs and even more, "Woah! Where'd the chops go?" The overwhelming consensus was that I look much more handsome and younger. 

One even went as far as using the word, "baby". I gave a quizzical look, to which she responded. "In a good way!" 

As I canvased West Seattle, I considered my leaving date. I was planning on leaving Sunday, the day after Just the Tip's triple header playoff day. I was super excited about the tournament style, three games in a row, playoffs. I was a lot less excited about sitting 12 hours in a car the day after so much activity. Meanwhile, Holly asked me to not leave until Tuesday so we could hang out Monday night. 

Holly did give me that AWESOME care package, sticking around means I could help more with the campaign AND if I leave Wednesday I could be there Tuesday night for the election party... DONE, staying. :-)

The tournament was incredibly epic. The Tippers showed up STRONG and in great numbers. We won the first two and had a very narrow defeat in the last game. I have never played so hard in my life. I <3 U Just the Tip!!!

The final day of the campaign, November 6th, we began with a massive literature drop all over Seattle at 4AM. We left notes on doors, doorsteps, gates, cars, anywhere where we thought someone might see it and remember to GET YOUR BALLOT IN. From about 8AM to 9AM, we stood on the Madison St. overpass and waved signs at the traffic on I-5. Oodles of honks and waves of encouragement flowed from the vehicles. Good times. :-)

Then, I got to have breakfast with Ben, and back out on the streets, Wallingford specifically, for more canvasing. The double batch of turf I had took me the entire rest of the day. I did manage to talk to three people who had yest to turn in their ballots. They did have plans to do so and were aware it was election day. So, I suppose I didn't really accomplish much, but you never know what you're gonna find when you hit the streets.

The staff fed me dinner back at the headquarters. Then. I wandered around and spaced out for a bit. I had just spent over 12 hours walking, biking, knocking on doors and talking to strangers. This machine was a little low on energy.

For some reason, I was not excited about going to the election party. I also was having trouble working out if I should drive there, or bike or...? Part of me just wanted to go to bed. I eventually figured that I would be sad later if I didn't drag myself over to the party. Once I got there, I'd probably get a second wind.

Eventually found parking a quarter mile or so from the event. Decided to jog most of the way there. It was far, and jogging ain't no thang. 

The event was at the Westin, a big, fancy hotel in downtown Seattle. This also happened to be the same location for the Democratic election party. So, there were a lot of people drinking and celebrating every time another state went for Obama. There didn't seem to be much focus on R-74. I also couldn't find ANYBODY I knew from the campaign. :-/

I wandered around, feeling incredibly detached and out of place, trying my best to smile and look for friendly faces. These people are not my people. They are wearing suits and dresses and talking about kids and the various things one buys with lots of money. 

Eventually, I began seeing a few people I knew from the campaign  However, I began to think that they are likely to be busy playing the political game of making connections for future campaigns and whatever else one does at a meeting like this. 

I sat down and looked into my phone for... something. Facebook! What's good???

I texted Holly, who reminded me that she was at an election party at her place with her roommates and a bunch of friends(who I could safely assume are not like these suits and dresses here). Done, I'm on my way. Peace out!

Holly's roommates are brother and sister, Mike and Heidi, and I think they're pretty dang great. There were a lot of other people there, a few of whom i was introduced to, but I think I had had my stranger quota filled for the day. So I spent the evening chatting with Mike, Heidi and Holly. It was a great time and a great last night in Seattle.

Wednesday morning, drive to Chico!

To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment