Monday, October 1, 2012

A pain in the wrist (and a video)

The last 25 miles or so of my ride into Chico last Wednesday were plagued by pain in my left wrist. I really didn't want to stop short so I did what I could to put less stress on it and stretch it as I went. Thursday  it was feeling quite a bit better, so I didn't think much of it. By the time I was heading out again, it would surely be all healed up. Unfortunately, when I woke up Friday, it was hurting quite a bit more.

Since then I have stayed off my bicycle as much as I can and when I have ridden it, I try to keep all pressure off my wrists. Yes, the right one started hurting as well. :-( My hope has been that by Tuesday, my planned time for departure, I would be all hunky doery. Four days of rest, right?

Today, they really aren't feeling noticeably better than yesterday. It's still painful to put weight on them and when I wake up in the morning they are very stiff and sore. From my reading yesterday, the closest thing I could find to expert advice suggested 2-3 weeks of rest and then a strengthening routine to prevent future problems.

Riding through it will surely just cause the whole thing to be worse, maybe even permanent, and I suppose I do have the time... I'm trying to consider myself lucky that it happened once I was already here in the valley where I have so many friends and family.

On a more positive note, I got to go out on Lake Oroville in my boat yesterday! It was pretty darn great. My wake boarding skills are quite rusty. My friend Jen took some pictures, which I will try to get copies of and post up here. I also have more pictures from the last couple days of riding that I need to post.

Lastly, I have uploaded one of my video blogs to Youtube! I made it when I found an old bridge along side of 299. Let's see if I can insert this below... Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment